Your lawn watering schedule is back to two days per week beginning March 12 and ending on November 5, 2023. OUC residential water customers are reminded to adjust watering schedules to comply with the following St. Johns Water Management District’s mandatory watering restrictions:
- Homes with odd-numbered addresses water on Wednesday and Saturday.
- Homes with even-numbered addresses water on Thursday and Sunday.
- Non-residential properties water on Tuesday and Friday.
- Water only when needed and not between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Water for no more than one hour per zone.
- Restrictions apply to private wells and pumps, ground or surface water and water from public and private utilities.
- If you have planted a section of new grass or plants, that area may be watered every day for the first 30 days and every other day for the next 30 days as needed, after which you should return to the regular watering schedule. Remember, only the new plants and grass may be watered every day.
- If you need to run a test of your irrigation system, you may run the system at any time for 20 minutes per zone.
OUC recommends using an EPA WaterSense®-labeled controller – weather- or soil moisture-based – to manage your irrigation system and offers customers a rebate of up to $200 for the purchase and installation of the device. A weather-based controller uses local weather and landscape conditions to tailor water schedules while a soil moisture-based controller (also known as a soil-moisture sensor) monitors moisture in the soil to prevent overwatering. Controllers can be manually adjusted through a smartphone app.
An OUC customer who took advantage of the rebate offer immediately saw the benefits of using a smart irrigation controller. On average, he saved $20 per month in irrigation costs and reduced his water consumption by about 10,000 gallons over the July-October 2021 billing cycles.
The rebate is only available to OUC potable water customers with in-ground irrigation systems. Click here for more information and to apply for the rebate.