Owning an electric vehicle (EV) offers many advantages, including lower fuel costs and reduced emissions. If you’re in the market to buy or lease a new or used car, here are a few reasons to make your next purchase an EV.
Reap the Benefits
EVs have come a long way since they first hit the market. Driving an EV not only delivers an average $500 savings in yearly fuel costs, EV owners also can expect:
- Lower vehicle maintenance costs. The use of regenerative braking in an EV means the vehicle’s brakes require less service. Regenerative brakes use electric motors rather traditional friction brakes to slow down the vehicle while capturing energy that is transferred to the battery.
- An average of 275 miles per charge. Charging an EV is generally about three times cheaper per mile compared to fueling up a gas-powered car.
- Accelerated performance and power delivery. EVs often include straight-line acceleration that can boost your starting speed. Most EVs can hit 0 – 60 mph in less than six seconds, with many reaching under three seconds.
- Pride in reducing your carbon footprint. Unlike gas-powered cars, EVs don’t have any direct tailpipe emissions.
- Up to $7,500 in a federal tax credit on a new EV and up to $4,000 on a used EV. Amount varies based on the date of service and additional criteria. Visit gov to learn more.
Take Advantage of Growing Charging Infrastructure
Range anxiety is often cited as the main concern drivers mention when considering an EV. While gas stations remain plentiful, the number of charging stations for EVs is growing.
To help eliminate “range anxiety” and encourage EV adoption, OUC has made a significant investment in growing Central Florida’s public charging infrastructure.
In July, the utility opened the Robinson ReCharge Mobility Hub in downtown Orlando. The Hub, one of the largest in the nation, offers 21 fast-charging charging ports. The next fast-charging hub is planned for the Orange County Convention Center parking lot, with construction planned to start in 2023.
OUC also operates approximately 350 charging ports throughout the area.
And if you’re going on a road trip, there are more than 7,400 public charging stations in Florida and 140,000 in the U.S. Use smartphone apps like ChargeUp and PlugShare to find places to “plug in.”
Enjoy a Variety of Makes and Models When Selecting Your EV
As more car makers enter the EV market, buyers are discovering more purchase options. These include:
- Sports cars
- Pick-up trucks
Join the Growing Number of EV Owners
Florida is #2 in the nation for EVs on the road. Plus, Florida has one of the fastest-growing rates of EV sales. So, when you choose electric for your next vehicle, you’ll be in good company.
Find out just how easy it is to be an EV owner: OUC.com/EV.